In Canada, Amateur Radio is regulated by the federal government, specifically Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (formerly Industry Canada). A step-by-step guide on becoming an Amateur can be found on their website at: /eic/site/icgc.nsf/eng/h_07048.html#ic-subnav-2-

While you may Amateur radio operators in Canada re not licensed. Rather ..

In some countries other than Canada, the Amateur Radio is a license. In Canada, it is called an Amateur Radio Certificate. To become a radio amateur you will need to get a certificate. Certification requirements are different in every country with different rules, privileges, and classes of certificate. Basically different levels of certificates gives different privileges on the ham bands. The more challenging the license requirements the more privileges that are granted and the more interesting and enjoyable ham radio becomes.

About Amateur Radio Certificates

NARC can help you get your Amateur Radio Certificate by offering both Basic and Advanced level classes at various times throughout the year.

To earn your certificate with Basic Qualification, you’ll need to pass a written exam. This is a 70% pass-grade, 100-question multiple-choice test, covering such topics as radio operating practices, basic electrical theory, and the Radio communication regulations that apply to amateur radio. A mark of 80% or more gives the candidate the additional privileges of Basic Qualification with honours.

Candidates for the Advanced Qualification must pass a 70% pass-grade, 50-question multiple-choice examination covering electrical theory primarily related to the additional privileges granted to holders of the Advanced Qualification.

NARC offers both the Basic and Advanced Course when there is a large enough class size. Contact the training director at:

1. Basic:

To qualify one must pass the basic exam with a pass mark between

70% and 80%. This only allows the use of VHF and UHF frequencies on the HAM bands above 30 MHz.

2. Basic with Honors.

To qualify one must pass the basic exam with a pass mark of 80% or greater. This allows the use of all frequencies in the HF, VHF and UHF on the HAM bands.

3. Advanced.

To qualify one must pass the advanced exam with a pass mark of 70% or greater. This allows the use of all frequencies. As well, one can transmit on up to 1000 watts of power, can build and set up equipment and can sponsor a repeater. Basic license is required before getting the advanced license.

4. Morse Code.

To qualify one must pass the Morse Code exam with 5 words per minute or greater for the entry level. This allows the use of all frequencies assigned to CW.

Online resources

The Cold Lake Amateur Radio Society (CLARS) offers video training on their web site.